Friday, August 28, 2009

Sarah, Plain and Average

Today I came out to the living room and was asked by a nosy 5 year old, "Where are you going?". " Ummm...Nowhere."
"Well then why are you wearing those nice, going-somewhere-clothes?"
I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, my hair was in the typical ponytail and I had no makeup on. Since when did jeans become my nice clothes?
Oh yeah, since 10th grade when I started wearing pajama pants to school, the store, the movies, on dates, etc. I used to wear jeans all the time, even sleep in them. But, I've come to the point where PJs are my regular clothes, jeans are dressed up, and skirts are fancy. Half the time I get ready to go somewhere, get out of the house, and start driving away before I realize that I didn't even look in the mirror. Sad, huh?
Those boys in high school made the mistake of telling me I looked fine without makeup. Well, I took it to heart because I just don't take the time for it, don't want to spend the money on it, and frankly, I never know if I'm even doing it right in the first place.
I'm not sure if anyone ever feels this way, but that is me.

20 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

You are soooooooo far from plain and average. You are perfectly beautiful and do not need make-up.

Jenny said...

I could have pretty much written that post. If I make it in the shower before nap time, Tab wants to know where we are going. And I am with you on the not even knowing what I'm doing when it comes to makeup. But really, let's be real, if I looked as good as you sporting Pj's, I would do it all day....crap, I don't look as good and do do it all day.

Carrie said...

You really don't need make up, so I might have to hate you. Laughed my way through the whole post :)

Mary said...

You know, you could take it that your nosy five year old sees you as amazingly beautiful even in jeans and a t shirt. And believe me, I generally don't make the effort either. I wore pjs all through highschool. If it wasn't against the SVU honor code, I'd be wearing my pjs all the time now, too.
And coming from a sister who you know will tell the truth (not that other people wouldn't), when you put on makeup it looks great, but you really truly don't need makeup. So don't sweat it and stick to the scrubs.

Ben & Carly said...

I laughed when I read this post, it was like you were talking about me. the other day I proudly told Ben that all five pieces of makeup I own I got my sophmore year of highschool, he said "isn't that kind of gross?" I figured I was just saving us money by being so low matienence. I salute all natural girls, I'm convinced the simple life is better....and pajama pants are just more comfortable!

toots said...

You are naturally pretty, Sarah! Wish I could get away with it...

Sheila said...

I love this post, if I looked like you in PJs and no make-up I wouldn't do pants or make-up either!

I asked Jeff the other day, "Can you tell that I put make-up on today?" After looking at me a couple of sec. "Ummm, yeah, pretty honey." I agree with you. I buy two bottles of mascara a year and a thing of eyeliner...who knows if I'm doing it right and I guess, who cares?

Rachel said...

Don't quit wearing jeans entirely 'cause they look darn hot on you!

Mom said...

While there is nothing wrong with being average (I would probably consider myself lucky to be in that category), you just aren't and never were. You were even beautiful with those awful glasses at 5 years old! I finally bought some of those PJ's to wear to girl's camp this summer - they are definitely more comfortable than jeans - wish I had tried
hem when I was younger.

Melissa said...

I've been doing the PJ thing since I had Jenna. I've been making more of an effort lately. As far as makeup, just mascara. You're lucky. I would have never known.

Melanie Chambers said...

Its because you have beautiful brown hair and dark brown eyes. You can get away with anything with those looks. Blonde and blue eyed and light eyelashes...another story.

H said...

Sarah Darling, You are the most naturally beautiful girl I know. I always used to think that it was so unfair cause I always had to wear tons of makeup and you would put on like mascara and be gorgeous. But I do know what you mean about having kids and not having time to care what you look like. I only wear makeup for special occasions anymore.
I miss you, love you!

Shanda said...

I love his comment on your "nice-going-somewhere clothes" :) Classic. I get the same thing. If I'm not going anywhere why in the world should I take the time to get ready? Because unlike you with BEAUTIFUL skin, mine is nasty and I DO need lots of makeup to cover it up, unfortunately. Because I've always envied those, like yourself, that can SERIOUSLY pull off looking FABULOUS with no effort- that's SO my dream :) But even the neighbors know that there's often not much effort to look good from me. They see the "daily" Shanda and then the "Sunday" Shanda :) And I'm sure it's quite the shock :)

Charla and Jarom said...

Oh my gosh, I just laughed so hard!!!!! You're not alone sister :) When I wear make-up, Evan's always poking my eyes and trying to play with my lashes. And Haleigh always says, Oooh Charla, you look so pretty :) I always vow that I'm going to look pretty more often, but eh. In my opinion it's a total waste of make-up/money to wear make-up if you're not going somewhere semi-important! (And not many places make that cut :) )

Maria and Ryan said...

wow, sarah, you've got a lot of people agreeing with you and the no-makeup deal. pretty impressive. some of us just need a little more help, eh? i'm a makeup girl myself...except when I work @ flextech. then I'm a get fired kind of girl.

ps. i'm calling you soon, so stay in your house and answer the phone dang it!

SHANNA said...

hi- my name is Shanna and i have a blog that i have currently discovered that i have a follower named RON. i do not know this person, but i found that he is also following your blog. please let me know if you do or do not know this person. thanks.

shanna

SHANNA said...

sarah- thanks for your response!! i do know him.... they are NEW in our ward and i am friends with Rachelle, so when his name popped up it didn't register. sorry for the confusion!!!

Kristina said...

What's your trick for having so many followers on your blog? I'm lucky if I have one. I guess I need to post more often, have interesting titles like this and be really witty like you in my posts. I think I just answered my own question , Thanks! P.s thanks for commenting on my blog, I feel special

N said...

You and Heather are great examples of how women just don't need to be over-concerned with dressing or looking the societal norm.. you're very pretty under any circumstance, and certainly without the worldly accoutrements. I think most women need to worry more about being happy and smiling to look pretty than putting on tons of airs and being bratty. But, then I'm a chauvinist freak, too.. believing in chivalry and all.

I don't know who poisoned who with the pajama bottoms, but Heather is basically the same with that. The kids and I just like it because she's cuddly all the time. But I work at home, so our life isn't the average.

thesquiresfamily said...

Sarah you are hilarious!