Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Virginia

We made a quick weekend trip to Virginia to see Aunt Mary. Quick = driving for 1 day + camping for 2 days + driving for 1 day.
We drove through 3 new states, during which we saw how the flat changed to hills in Ohio. We also saw some pretty interesting sights in West Virginia. The best way to get a feel for WV is to describe a couple of things we noticed in the many small towns we drove through. #1: a diner named "Unkle Chunks". Yikes. #2: a nappy haired mannequin head, hastily placed on a wire hanger donning a circa 1900 transparent nightgown set out for an advertisement of what one would find in the adjacent thrift store. Double Yikes.
Anyway...once we made it to our destination it was pretty late so we broke the rules and the kids and I crashed in Mary's dorm room and sneaked out in the morning. Oh, Matt? He got the van. We saved some money that way. Yeah, it was worth it.
The next day we got a campsite and set up and then Mary gave us a tour of her school.

Mary, Alex, Bekah in front of the university, where I had to hike 4 flights of stairs like 17 times over the 2 days.


We also drove up into the Blue Ridge mountains. Remember: camping. Don't expect beauty from the foreground.


Some really cool vine/tree thingies.



Then Mary took us to the river and we all agreed that rivers are the funnest bodies of water to play in. Sorry beach lovers, I just like rock hopping too much.
It was perfect for the kids because it was really shallow and flowed slowly.


I locked the keys in the car here, but quickly redeemed myself by unlocking the door with a stick.


Mary and Alex doing a fire dance.


Okay, so the bugs here are soooo loud! They sound like small animals, so they must be huge. I'm always a mosquito magnet, but something else made a meal of me as well. My back looks like a battlefield. Keturah's face fell victim too.


The next day we went on a hike after church and found some more cool rocks.



Matt had to do some Spider-man like scaling to get up this rock and then we tossed Alex up. So here they are doing their Spider-man moves.




Who gave the baby the camera?



At the bottom of the hill, Mary had a surprise for Alex: Mater.
Alex didn't give her the reaction she was looking for. He just pointed out that this wasn't Mater because it wasn't a tow truck.


Back at camp, we played cards because no Locke can camp without playing cards.




We took a different way going home and Matt spotted this sweet waterfall in WV. I guess they have their hidden treasures even there.

All in all, we had a really fun trip. We got to hang out with Mary, see and play in the outdoors, and get away from the routine at home. Mission accomplished.

8 comments:

Nashelle said...

I hope we make a similar trip while we're here...way to use your mad MacGyver skills, Sarah!

Jenny said...

That is beautiful. And I could have warned you about the loud bugs (they are called Sacatas...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6UEROIw_mM) and west virginia for that matter. lol

Mary said...

Dude, that waterfall is awesome! I wish I'd gotten to see that. I'm so glad you guys had fun. I did, too!

Rachel said...

I get my fill of cute little boys, but your little girls are soooo cute! I just love Bekah's hair. Rivers are totally the best! Beaches have their good points, but nothing beats a river. That waterfall is a great find. You're an awesome big sister to go see Mary.

mattbeatty said...

Looks like it was a really fun trip! I'm hoping to go to WV sometime quite soon.

Linda said...

Thank you for the wonderful post. I'm glad you all had fun. I loved the pictures, especially the waterfall.

N said...

Awesome pics. Love how many you posted - thanks. I am way way jealous that you got such a cool trip.

You're comment about the foreground is funny. You're silly, considering you look great and just had #3. Mary's chronically cheery, so she's always in the clear from looking anything but pretty.

The Haas Family said...

What a blast! I love all the WV findings--maybe we should check out residencies out there! Brings back memories of our MO chicken wire child. Miss you guys.