Friday, August 21, 2009

The worse part is the crunch

Keturah is just trying to enjoy a bath without the attacks of a certain doting sister. She isn't as alone as she thinks she is.


The picture shrank the effect, but the moth was pretty big in my book. And fuzzy. This guy lucked out and lived to see the outside again, but I'm not that nice most of the time.

I've thought about why the big bugs are so much worse than the little ones, and I concluded that I just don't like the crunch. When you squish a little spider, there isn't a whole lot of action. With a heftier pest, there is the accelerated heart beat, the sweat beads, the breath holding, and then the crunch between your fingers from under the thin protection of the tissue. Not the sort of thrill I'm fond of. When I told Matt that is why I don't like killing the huge ants we get here, he said, "Naw, they don't really crunch. It's more of a pop." Like that helps. Thankfully Alex and Bekah help, but then I find half of a corpse with mangled limbs embedded in the carpet. I guess it could be a lot worse.

8 comments:

Mamray said...

Oh my goodness, I saw the title and started busting up. Good memories from the horrifically huge spider at Girls Camp my third year. "The crunch! I hate the crunch!" And of course you know that I know exactly what you mean. The worst part is most definitely the crunch. And I like the spooked look on Keturah's face in the first picture.

Ron and Rachelle said...

There are so many weird bugs here in Atlanta and the ants seem to find every crevice to find their tiny way in! A little something crawled into my shoe the other day...lucky I saw it dart in there before I stuck my foot in! Good luck with those bugs!

Rachel said...

The best thing about Jason is we can just say, "Hey, Jason, go take that bug outside," and he'll run over and pick it up, no matter how big or hairy, and take it outside and play with it. Enormous beetles, spiders, earwigs... he loves them all.

N said...

Nothing beats Heather saying there was a *gigantic* bumblebee that I needed to come home and kill one time a while back, because she was trapped in the back of the apartment with it roaming around the kitchen. I did get it, but I'd hardly say it was a "huge" emergency? Girls are so funny about bugs and crunching.

Melanie Chambers said...

And the worst is anticipating the bug will jump out at you just seconds before you squash it.

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

I am convinced that bugs were part of Adam and Eve's fall. I love all your posts, they always give me a laugh!

Shanda said...

HATE BUGS! There is a lot more drama then that with squishing in my house, a LOT of sweat, yelling at the thing and mostly throwing items. I'll NEVER do the brave squish between the kleenex move. YOU'RE BRAVE!

H said...

It was a big Bee!! I hate bugs.