Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Llama and Rat Hill

When I was a kid, I was smaller than average. In this picture I (center front) am 11 and my brother to the right is 9. People thought we were twins. I am 2 1/2 years younger than Rachel (far right) and she was always at least 8 inches taller (okay, I don't know, but she was a lot taller). Rachel is not a giant by any means, I was just short.
That is how I got the nickname "shrimp". My brother concocted this elaborate story about my parents adopting me from Sizzler. Whatever. Anyway...eventually everyone in my family got an animal nickname, but really mine was the only one that stuck. So my mom's animal name was Llama.

As teenagers, Rachel didn't like it when I said her name with a short "a" sound. She said it sounded like I was calling her "rat hill". Hence, the title.

We had a slew of family come out to see us in the last month or so. So why update my blog when the people who read it are all here taking part in the action? Okay, so there were some important people who weren't here and we haven't seen in a long time, so I am not justified in taking so long. Forgive me.
When mom and Rachel were here, we had a great time catching up and hanging out.
First they had to meet Keturah:

Then, Rachel had to have a general layout of the town so she could go jogging. This was her vacation, but she was not to be deterred.
The kids perused the books that Grandma Jill brought and later we went to Institute at the school. We were able to play outside a little, but it was kinda cold for Rach. She was constantly freezing here no matter where we were--inside or out. I guess living in San Diego can be a curse for when you travel to the Midwest.
We made a trip out to Nauvoo for Rachel and I think she had a pretty good time.
This is us watching a "how to make a boot in the 1800's" demo.

And here is a windy picture of us in front of the temple.

When I took this picture below the next day, it was raining. Within a hour, it was snowing pretty hard.

Rachel has not seen snow in a really long time, so she was glad that she got to play in it a little. She even let Alex throw snowballs at her. Mom just moved to where it doesn't snow and thought that she wouldn't get to see any this year. I'm glad Missouri did not disappoint them.

After church on Sunday we got some quick pictures before they had to go to the airport.



I know that one of my favorite parts was when mom, Rach and I stayed up talking on the kitchen floor while snacking on pistachios and clementines. Thanks for the good time guys.

10 comments:

Shanda said...

LOVE that picture of you and Rachel! LOVE HER, and LOVE YOU! Glad you guys had so much fun!

Sheila said...

You girls are so gorgeous. I love your sister and always looked up to her...and you. (Bet you didn't know that.) I still do. AND, if you have Shanda's info PASS IT ON TO ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

I love the picture of you and Rachel! Keturah is darling, and...llama? Really?

Charla and Jarom said...

First of all your baby is adorable and secondly, you look soooo good! How do you do it!!!?? Aren't sisters wonderful :)

Maria and Ryan said...

You and Rachel look so much alike--it's crazy. We missed you for Easter--next year we'll just have to plan a little Easter trip to your house...we're just gonna have to do it. Eh? OR you can come to our house...EH?

Ben & Carly said...

there is nothing like having your mom and sister visit and stay up late snacking on the floor...it's good for the soul. especially after you've had a baby, I'm glad you had such a nice visit. Do you love having Nauvoo so close? I've only been there once but I fell in love with the it...I found myself getting up early just to run down the old streets. such an amazing place.

Mariasis said...

Rat hill isn't all that great, but Llama's not bad at all. But really, I ended up with George Horse, and I think that is worse. It has nothing to do with my name, which makes me think that it had something to do with my looks! Jer came up with the weirdest names for people.

You guys took a lot of pictures. Looks like you had a lot of fun. No wonder Rach was freezing -- she had no warm clothing, by the looks of it! I don't envy the pistachios. Ew. But lemme guess, Mom sat on the floor first? I can so see her doing that.

Talk to you tomorrow (if you're actually there!).

Sheila said...

Shanda's blog is private and I'm not invited so I wanted to email her, but I don't have her email. Can you hook me up??

Rachel said...

I had a great time. Thanks for letting me come. I miss you!

H said...

I'm glad so many people came to visit. I know it's important to have family around and get to show off your new baby. I'm very jealous that I didn't get to see you and the fam, but hopefully sometime not to long. Nathan and I will have to figure something out. I love you sooo much! Looks like you're doing great, and you look wonderful!
Heather