Actually, most people seem to think that I'm incredibly depressed with little will to live. That is not the case--I just felt like whining a bit about my least favorite lunar cycle. But thanks for helping me stick it out. Anyway, I had another bout of insomnia last night and coming up with this helped keep me entertained. I know I've done chocolate in the past, so I wanted to think of something else. I thought, what is as essential to life as chocolate? Duh! The thing that I had wished I was doing that very moment: sleeping! So here goes:
O Sleep, my friend,
Why did you leave me?
We've been through a lot,
How can you deceive me?
I thought we were close,
Good buddies, like kin.
I invited you over,
Why won't you come in?
I saw you next door
And all down the street,
But I am alone and
Must admit my defeat.
I feel so distraught,
downtrodden, dejected,
My eyes sting from your absence,
As if they're dissected.
And then it dawns on me,
As I turn on the lamp,
You're with everyone but me--
Why, you dirty little tramp!
Why did you leave me?
We've been through a lot,
How can you deceive me?
I thought we were close,
Good buddies, like kin.
I invited you over,
Why won't you come in?
I saw you next door
And all down the street,
But I am alone and
Must admit my defeat.
I feel so distraught,
downtrodden, dejected,
My eyes sting from your absence,
As if they're dissected.
And then it dawns on me,
As I turn on the lamp,
You're with everyone but me--
Why, you dirty little tramp!
22 comments:
love it, Sarah!
I'm just relieved to know that in your moments of contemplation and frustration last night, you showed enough restraint and self-control to refrain from abusing your innocent husband.
"innocent"?
Pretty creative, Sarah! Now, if you went running at 2 AM you would have no trouble sleeping at night...
You crack me up!!
I love that picture of you sleeping in your highchair!
What's really strange is that I have been suffering from a lack of sleep for some time. Last night, once again, I woke up at 3:30 unable to go back to sleep. Finally at 5 I decided to get up and watch the news. Anyway, your blog was a blessing to me. In a sick way I'm kind of glad I am not the only person to be awake wondering what to do. I wish I had your talent. I hope you get a good nights sleep. Love ya, Linda
I'm glad I could make you feel better, Linda. Sorry about our common affliction--hope it gets better for you soon!
Your too funny! I hate that random pregnancy insomnia. At the end of my pregnancies, I got to know tylenol pm quite well!
what a small world, this is Carly (Nielson) and I found your blog through the Shepards, Dave and my husband Ben were MTC companions and then I saw that you guys also know the Castles...we knew them from here in Vegas and Brent and I were friends in Provo. So anyway Matt it was good to see your cute family, it looks like you are doing great. Now the reason for this comment, which I'm aware seems kind of weird, is I couldn't get out of my mind how familiar you look Sarah. Then I got an email from Kari Kiholm and she said she found a picture of her and I and Glory and Sarah Guymon at camp. So last night when I couldn't sleep it hit me....Sarah I think you were my best friend at Camp Richie. I remember after camp my mom driving me down from pollock pines to play at your house. Am I crazy or do you remember this too? well I always wondered what happened to you, my memories of girls camp are so good because of you. I remember being so happy that I found a friend like you. So if this is you, here is a belated thank you from my 12 year old self. and if this isn't you and you don't remember any of that well then my my I feel really cool. anyway your family is darling, and Matt tell your parents and Jenny hi!
Oh my gosh, I was cracking up!!! My roommate loved it too. You know, I wrote a poem about sleep once (not as good as this one) and because of it everyone thought I was depressed. *sigh* I think I actually like it better than the chocolate one! My favorite was the "dirty little tramp" ending. So you.
Oooh, the dreaded 2 am pregnancy wake up call. I love that you wrote a poem about it. It should be published in pregnancy weekly or something. Tylenol pm was my friend, until the next morning when it wouldn't leave my system until noon. And then I needed a nap.
Oh Sarah I am so relieved! thank you for writing me back I feel a lot less crazy now. I'm glad I found you too, of course you can follow my blog and I will follow yours. I have a feeling you and I would have a lot of fun with our kids together. It is not often in life you find a kindred spirit and I remember that even at 12 I recognized you as one. It was good to hear from you!
You're a hoot. If only I were as creative about my restless sleep. I just need the crazy pg dreams to stop.
that was hilarious :)
Sarah!!! You are hilarious!
Love the poem! I've tried a number of things to end my insomnia and restore sweet dreams but never composing verse. -Love, Mom
I love you Sarah, you're hilarious! And I know, you just can't wait to hold the baby instead of having it take up what feels like you're entire body :)
Wow! 17 comments, and of course I'm nosy and had to read them all. I had to comment and make it 18.
That is a very creative poem. Your sense of humor always reminds me of Nathan.
I miss you Sarah, Hope you are getting more sleep now. Love you lots!
Heather
haha that's great!
Sarah, you are quite a clever one, aren't you?
Yo, sista. Post something ielse.
I'm laughing out loud. That's too funny. You're so cute. I hope Ketura lets you catch a few winks here and there!
Post a Comment