Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Boys in the Hood


My sister Mary says, "Mom and I have decided that Bekah is a tom boy. "

Um, yeah, ya think?

Bekah is not a girly girl. We tried at Christmas and her birthday. She got a princess costume, princess shoes, a princess cup, etc. But for the month or so since then she has been either Batman, Megatron, or Darth Vader. She growls at and chases boys that are twice her age or more (alongside Alex, of course). We thought that Alex would have lots of fun with a brother, but I guess he already has one. So maybe it is good that there will be another girl around.

Alex is always a character too, but he changes his name so much that I can't keep track. People will tell me that they said to him, "Hey, Alex" and he growled at them and said his name wasn't "Alex". So then they ask me what his name is--and it usually some kind of transformer--but I tell them it doesn't matter what they call him as long as it isn't "Alex". Bekah has figured this out and uses it to push his buttons. When she wants to bug him or gets mad at him she says, "Your name is Alex. I'm only going to call you Alex". He takes it pretty hard and has a massive breakdown, screaming and protesting that he is not Alex. I love that his name has become a form of punishment. Oh well.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet Bekah makes a great big sister. There's nothing like a new baby to pull out the softer side of anyone.

Ron and Rachelle said...

Alex and Bekah would get along great with my boys! It will interesting to see if our little Becca is girly or a tomboy...I really need some femininity in my life!

Anonymous said...

Haha! That's super funny! Alex seems to be having an identity crisis. I love the way Bekah totally uses it against him. Those two crack me up.

Shanda said...

That video clip was awesome! I love little sneek peeks of your life. Isn't it so fun watching how much your kids love eachother and at the same time how good they are at torturing eachother?

Jenny said...

I love it. Your kids crack me up. I just love how they feed off of eachother.

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

That's too funny! I need a little more boyism around here!

H said...

The kids look great! Hope you are doing well.
Love,
Heather

The Haas Family said...

crack up! I've seen Bekah do some things that would scare me, you know. She's fiesty and has a fierce growl. The funniest part, though, is that she is just so petite and beautiful--so femanine. I guess it will only benefit her in the future--no guys will mess with her!

Ben & Carly said...

that's hilarious, and pretty cute. It's a little different at my house, everytime Luke wants to play batman or the incredible hulk Olivia makes him do it while playing house dressed in a princess costume. this is a little more worrisome than a tom boy don't you think? older siblings have more influence than they know!

Anonymous said...

Bekah needs to spend some time with River. She is ALL princess.Everything is pink,with every toy and movie to do with princesses. And Skylar really needs to spend time with Alex. He has no idea how to be a boy with River teaching him all he knows. Haha Lots of love, Linda

Kari said...

Ha ha!! Love it Sarah! That cracks me up. So good to see pics of you and Glory at the reunion. So bummed I didn't get to make it. We were on a flight to get there, and were stopped half way because of weather. Christina and Taryn look exactly the same. Actually, everyone does. haha