Monday, December 1, 2008

A Study of Sleep and Hypnosis

For the week off of school Matt and I wanted to see the effects that plenty of rest and hypnotic movie watching would have on us, so that is what we did. I should add that this study included copious amounts of sugar. We are very pleased with the results--we weren't necessarily ready to go back to the school schedule, but are definitely more prepared for it because of the indulgence during the break.
Some other things we did:

Raked a ton of leaves

For our anniversary I made cheesecake with homemade blueberry sauce with fresh blueberries. So yum.


Matt and I went out to eat at this awesome restaurant for our anniversary. We didn't eat out for 2 months just so we could go here. It was worth it. Those croutons alone make you want to die.


Us at the restaurant.


We also went shooting to practice with our new gun. I did better, but who's counting?

And that brings us to Thanksgiving. We spent the day with the Crellins. Here are Matt and faceless Jason hanging out watching movies.


Here are Tab, Bekah, and Alex hanging out watching movies.


Oh, there's Jason. And Benton in the high chair.


For dinner Rebecca and son Terry came to eat with us. She is a student, same year as Matt and Jason. I think during dinner we only had 4 references to bacteria and/or diseases related to. Pretty good for 3 med students.
Our menu included herb-rubbed roasted turkey, homemade stuffing, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, fresh cranberry relish, fruit salad, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, homemade gravy, rolls, and Martinelli's, baby!

The two slaves responsible for most of that goodness.

We can't forget the dessert. Carmel Pecan Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust and a homemade Lemon Meringue Pie.


I swear this is still Thanksgiving even though the kids are in the Halloween costumes.
The very same Lemon Meringue, a Chocolate Mousse pie, and Rebecca's Apple Pie, Blueberry Pie, and Pumpkin Pie. She used to own a bakery and it definitely shows!
We may have been a little outta control with the desserts. Jenny and I had two other crusts made that we didn't even fill. We also had a cherry pie that had to wait a couple of days for us to even get to it.



Last but not least, we spent the final days of our vacation getting a Christmas tree and decorating it and the house. Alex had been dying to do this for the last month, so now he is just dying for Christmas to actually be here. After that, I'm sure he'll be dying for his baby sister to be here. Then his birthday, etc, etc.


9 comments:

Ron and Rachelle said...

super fun post! the food looks great!

Amy Beatty said...

What a fun little vacation you guys got from school. All of your food sounded so good, and Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a fun foodie holiday.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad to see all was fun. The kids looked like they had a blast -- loved the costume rerun. I hate to say, though, that putting pecans in anything ruins it. Bleck! Thanks for giving me instructions on the stuffing, btw. It turned out fairly well. Talk to you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I loved all the pictures! It's almost as good as being there. - Mom

Anonymous said...

Great update Sarah, and I too loved all the pictures. By the way, those pies looked wonderful!! Forever hungry, Linda

Jenny said...

Thanks for letting us make a total mess out of your house! Maybe we'll have to do it again next year since we'll only be a few hours away.

Ron and Rachelle said...

The dentist said he should have no lasting problems with his teeth gone. So that's good! It was funny to hear him say 'fruit loops' the next day, poor guy. He has adjusted well to it.

Charla and Jarom said...

Your food looked delicious! Looks like a jam-packed fun time. Those croutons DO LOOK good ;) Talking about bacteria at the dinner table is better than what gets talked about at Jarom's family's house!