Monday, December 15, 2008

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

I thought it would be fun show everyone how cool my parents were with our Christmas trees--probably one of the ugliest things you've ever seen. I just love how they let us kids do whatever we wanted to do to the tree. We all hung something on the tree--usually some sort of paper thing we made--and it really helped it feel more Christmas-y. Here is an example of the poor tree that was hacked, brought to our crazy house, and was made to wear whatever hideous thing we could come up with. Okay, so they weren't all hideous. Nathan's stuff was pretty cool.


Dad, Sarah, Matt, Nathan, and Rachel
(May I add that my parents also let me pick my glasses out myself and this is what I picked. They never told me how ridiculous they were.)

A good ten years later things were a little better as we developed our craftiness.
Danny, Mary, and Sarah (in the back)

Another few years added, and alas, no paper chains, painted and glittered egg carton bells, dripping frosted cookies, or paper snowflakes on this tree.
So sad.
Jeremy, Matt, Danny, Mom, Mary, Sarah

And just to finish this off,
Merry Christmas from us!

11 comments:

Pattie said...

I love this post.. Thanks for sharing your christmas past. love love the huge Bug eyeglasses and thanks for the recipe apprently matthew really wants these i forgot all about them....we will try these out...

Pattie said...

by the way i thought it was cool you/siblings got decorate the christmas tree you have cool parents.....

Vanessa said...

So glad you guys have a blog! send me your email so i can send you an invite to ours, its set private

tylervanessabrown@gmail.com

Amy Beatty said...

I laughed so hard when I saw that first picture. It is the greatest thing ever. I need to take a picture of our tree. jarom and Bella have made some nice paper men and Candy canes out of pipe cleaners. I also love your family picture at the bottom. You guys are so cute! Where is the picture of your tree?

Anonymous said...

I noticed that the trees looked progressively better as I came into the picture more... jk. Probably because you actually started caring what they looked like. I love your current family picture! I want a copy of that! I suppose I'll just save it to my computer or something.

Jenny said...

You guys are too cute. Merry Christmas to you too. We'll miss hanging out with you over break.

Anonymous said...

My tree this year looks worse than ever. All the ornaments are clustered around the top 2 feet of the tree, and it's full of kid-made bead ornaments. There are hardly any needles left on the bottom branches because the kids keep playing under there and knocking them off. The tree also takes up most of the tiny living room. These are the memories we'll cherish... I guess.

H said...

Well our tree looks pretty good now. You guys are so cute. Christmas always reminds me of when I fell in love =)
I miss you terribly.
Love ya babe,
Heather
p.s. Your hair grows so fast.

jayne said...

I LOVE the lopsided tree dripping with homemade love! What an awesome memory (and parents to let you do that!) Are you upholding tradition and letting your kids decorate yours?

Natalie said...

I love this entry! Thanks for the walk down memory lane. What does your tree look like this year? Are you coming home to CA? You all look happy and beautiful!

Shanda said...

LOVE the family pic! You're beautiful!