Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Kitchen is a Death Trap

As we were getting ready for our camping trip, I asked Alex to put the ice chest against the wall. Typical Alex, he decides his way was better, and set it next to the fridge. Later that night, as I'm leaving the kitchen in the dark (the decidedly moronic placement of the light switch is a factor here), I trip over the ice chest, and the handle leaves a 3 inch scrape/bruise down my shin.
Earlier that day, I branded my arm with a cookie sheet, leaving some nice, borderline 2nd degree blisters.
The next day I opened the drawer where we keep all of our kitchen "tools" like spatulas, tongs, etc. The drawer came out all the way, the corner tagged my foot, and the utensils went spilling out onto the floor. I practically threw Keturah to Matt so I could collapse on the floor. It took about 10 seconds to swell up.

The mountain on my foot:


Matt was just leaving for a half day of psychiatry, so I had to finish getting stuff together and load up the van with this beast. Alex and Bekah pretty much did it all. They were awesome.
Anyway, after the swelling went down, my foot took on a lovely purple color.

Then Alex fell on me and his elbow landed right on the jackpot. It swelled up again, though not to same majestic heights as before. This picture was before the elbow, and I had another one similar to it. I asked Matt which one was worse. He said, "Neither. Do you have a picture post-Alex?"

So that is the explanation of how my kitchen is trying to kill me. Or maybe I'm just the 4th stooge. Considering I rolled my ankle and crashed a grocery cart head-on into a pole on two separate occasions, all within the last couple weeks, I'd go with the clumsy theory. Where would I be without 12 years of ballet? I don't even want to know.

Sorry for all the foot pictures. Less than aesthetically appealing, but it had to be done.

17 comments:

Mom said...

Ow! Those pics are hard to look at. I hope your foot is getting better by now.

Linda said...

Oh my gosh Sarah, that looks so painful. Be careful in the scary kitchen.

Ron and Rachelle said...

My stomach cringed when I saw those pictures, I am soooo sorry and I hope it gets feeling better soon. I twisted my ankle last summer and it kinda looked like yours...not fun

Nashelle said...

My foot started to swell just looking at those pics! OUCH!

Mary said...

So that's where Bekah gets it.

Melanie Chambers said...

Oh my gosh sarah, horrible, horrible, horrible!

Charla and Jarom said...

Man, that is beautiful. When it rains, it pours. I always seem to get hurt a lot in spurts!

Melissa said...

OUCH! Sorry girl! Uh, be careful in that kitchen of yours!

Rachel said...

I'm glad you posted the pictures. My imagination would have stopped short of the real thing. I can't quite comprehend how a drawer could have done such damage. Thinking back on the bee sting trip to Death Valley, maybe your feet just swell up easily?

Ben & Carly said...

seriously those pictures are hard to look at, that is one serious bruise...I actually said "oh ow" out loud when I saw it. don't think of yourself as clumsy, think of yourself as a martyr who is constantly serving her family and has the battle wounds to prove it.....see doesn't that sound much more heroic?

Amy Beatty said...

Sarah- that is soooo scary. I feel so bad for you. Good thing you married a doctor? can he get you some meds?

Elsie said...

Sarah! That is one gnarly lookin' foot!

Unknown said...

owowowow! How is your foot now? Aren't you tired of limping around... Hurting your foot is such a drag because it's so hard to stay off of it---you have to keep going. And all before you left for Virginia, too! You have my sincere empathy!

Jenny said...

holy oww. I'm sorry, that pretty much just sucks.

Amber Draper said...

Ouch! I think I'll stay out of my kitchen for awhile, just in case...

N said...

I've seen this movie. The kitchen always wins. Run, Sarah, run. Run and never go in there again.

Maria and Ryan said...

First of all, NASTY! and OUCH! Any chance you could avoid the kitchen or what?

I love your writing style Sarah. Love it. That's comin' from the writing guru, mind you. So appreciate it! Dogg.

Peace.