Thursday, October 16, 2008

California

I know, I know, this was two months ago. I got busy, then thought it had been too long, then got busy again, then thought, "what the hey?", and that brings me here.
So, yeah, the kids and I went to California for a week in August and had a great time hanging out with family. I didn't get to see absolutely everyone, but I did get to see a lot of people that had not for a long time, and will not see for a long time.

So this is us at Bridal Veil, a section of the American River, but up in the sticks. Our family loves coming here, and August is really the only time when the water is not totally freezing. My brother-in-law Jedd showed us how to Hippo Race--a game he made up that involves not drowning, but practically doing just that. You carry a ridiculously heavy rock across the bottom of the river, heave the rock onto the shore, retrieve it, lug it back across the river (with several feet of water above your head and no air in your lungs), and chuck it into the grass. And yes, I played with my bro Dan, my sis Mary, and Jedd (the champion). I think I got second place because of extenuating circumstances with the others.
Jedd and the rock


The kids and me on a boogie board.




Bekah wearing her cousin Steven's shirt.

When we got back to Grandma Jill's, Jedd made his awesome pizza and bread sticks. My other bro Matt brought his cute wife Kacey and son Brycen. The kids had a lot of fun up in Uncle Dan's bunk bed, but for some reason I cannot find any picture of that.

The next day my sis Rachel, three of her kids, and my kids and I went to another part of the American River. We met up with a friend to see the gold discovery site in Coloma. We went through the visitor's center and some spots in town, then hit the water. This is a guy panning for gold and showing the kids what he's up to.

So this is Alex finding some gold.

Alex's gold nugget.
It is just a grain of sand, so no debt pay off yet.


5 comments:

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

Wow, you fit a lot in on your trip! I love having the chance to see family...it just doesn't happen enough!

Natalie said...

What fun posts! And so filling! Your kids are so crazy darling. I bet Matt feels bad about missing out... Maybe next time! Miss you guys.

Amy Beatty said...

I love bridal veil!! I thought we were the only people who know how cool it is. I should of known that you lockes would be right up there with us in knowing all the awesome places out in the woods.

Anonymous said...

I'll look around for those pictures. I love the one you posted of Jedd.

Maria and Ryan said...

i wish we had been in CA so you could have packed EVEN MORE into your crazy trip! but seriously it looks like you had a great time. when are you going to plan a crazy hectic trip to come see your fav Washingtonians, huh?

p.s. are you guys going to CA for xmas? we'll be there--let us know...