Monday, April 21, 2008

Oh the irony

I am a sucker for sourdough bread. I've since changed my views, but I used to not care for the crust so much. My mom would often bring home a fresh loaf from Raley's and I would just take a chunk out of the middle. Sometimes it tasted so good, that I took a lot of chunks, and there wasn't much left but the crust with no innards. I know it is horribly wicked and all, but my family always says I don't eat anything but cereal and ice cream so they really should be grateful that I added that to my diet.
I like making bread, and as a side note, I'm going to attempt sourdough when it is warmer (the yeast can't hack it in the 60's). So anyway, I tried a different recipe for bread, and I don't think our oven performs the way others do, because I followed the directions, and it seemed like it was done at the given time, so I took it out then. Well, it wasn't done yet, and the middle was still all doughy. It worked out for Alex and Bekah because they love eating bread dough and had plenty to keep them content. The remnants of the gutted grain were very tasty, and I had to laugh that I was stuck with only the crust.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comeuppance at long last! Who says there is no justice in this world?

Changing the subject - yes, thanks to you I got a great deal on the tickets with the DING15. I'm excited too. Hope Danny can make it. I ordered his ticket separately just in case.

BTW - if your oven has a warm - or even if it doesn't you can put in a pan of boiling hot water on the bottom rack and even sourdough will rise that way in the oven no matter what the outside ambient temperature is. I used to have a good starter sourdough but lost it.

Pattie said...

LOve this post isnt cereal and ice cream the only food groups you need oh and of course i forgot the most important one CHOCOLATE...

Anonymous said...

And I think of all the loaves of sourdough bread that I have peeled the crust off and just eaten that---leaving the soft dough inside... What a team we could be!!

Can't wait to see you in June!!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha!!! Oh, I remember so many times when I would come to a fresh loaf of sourdough brought home only hours before, break out a knife, get ready to slice, and then realize that Sarah had yet again hollowed out the precious bread! And you would take ALL of the inside too. I suppose it's a good thing, though, because it taught me to like the crust as well. But I agree with Mom. Justice!

Sarah said...

Mary/Mom: I knew you would appreciate this. Oh, and I don't have a starter, I have to wait till it is warm to make that.
My other mom: I can't believe you would only eat the crust! Too bad we are just finding this out..

Anonymous said...

Great post. I remember you eating all my avocadoes for me, which I always appreciated. I also remember mom making bread pudding nearly every day with all of your leftover crusts. I still like bread pudding, so just chalk it all up to good memories.

Anonymous said...

I want to read a story of how you hid McDonalds hamburgers inside the walls of the van :)

Katherine said...

That is hilarious! Um, I've tried twice now with my own sourdough starter and I am struggling. Let's try it again together this summer. There is no place around here to get good sourdough!