Friday, September 23, 2011

The kreme of the crop

You know you have an awesome family when 2nd cousins show up after a 5 year absence (which is most of, if not all, of their lives), and they fit right within about 3 seconds. Such is this family. We had a brief stay at Matts aunt and uncle's house in Utah on our way home this summer.
The kids went straight for the trampoline.


Matt and I had fun catching up with everyone. Here's Natalie and Aunt Kim. I'm so glad Matt lets me share his family. We missed seeing Uncle Ron and all the others that couldn't be there.


Us with Aunts Jenalyn and Carolyn and some cousin babies. Their stay was short, but much appreciated and cherished.


After eating Aunt Kim's yummy soup and salad, we got to leave our kids with the older ones, and the adults partied it up at the local rodeo.


Nicole (the one in the boots) was sitting right behind us and it took me a while to not jump every time she would whoop and holler. She's not much more than 90 lbs, but can bust out the decibels like no other. She was at least as entertaining as the bull riders.
On top of all that excitement, we were even treated to strawberries and cream. Can't beat that for a Friday night.


We came home to all the kiddies asleep in the living room.
The next morning we had a quick breakfast and then we had to hit the road. It was too short, but the visit was superb.


We set aside a little extra time in Utah so we could see some good friends. Matt knows Jeff because they served together on their missions to Spain 10 years ago. Jeff was still out of town when we first got there, so we hung out with Brindy and her two kids. We went to the park to feed the ducks, except we brought cereal instead of bread. The ducks were pretty snobby about the cereal and didn't really touch it. If I were a duck, I would totally be diggin' the break in the monotony of bread. Plus, it was Honeycomb cereal. Hello? It's called sugar and its awesome.


After Jeff showed up, we talked them into Mexican food for dinner. Then we came back and the kids enjoyed the mildly warm tub outside.


Jeff liked to take every opportunity to make fun of me. You see, my leg was still injured and I basically had no functionality in my calf. The result was a very pronounced limp. Matt would reference Men in Black, inferring that I looked like the bug in the Edgar suit. I'd enter a room hobbling and instead of pity he would just gruffly say, "Sugar. Water."
Jeff went a different route. He just starting singing Thriller by Michael Jackson every time he saw me. Such loving company.


After their "baths" in the hot tub, Jeff read some scripture stories. Then instead of putting them to bed, we spontaneously decided to go get donuts.


Krispy Kreme was inspired of heaven. We pretty much all attacked them this way.



Then the kids went to bed for real. Then we watched a movie and crashed for the night.
The next day we took the kids to temple square, which included a lot of walking for me and my dang leg. Aside from that, it was relaxing and beautiful as always.

But then we had to part ways with the Whipples and face real life after our super long vacation.

Real life is pretty good, too.

3 comments:

Mary J. Locke said...

I have to say I'd take Matt and Jeff's teasing over "Are you okay?" a million times a day. The Edgar suit thing is so perfect.

Rachel said...

I love the donut trip in PJs. Totally awesome!

Natalie said...

More strawberries and cream, anyone? Thanks for the fantastic visit! We miss you.