Sunday, June 27, 2010

Birthdays and Projectile Poop

Yes, I am down to being a single person (as in, not pregnant, still married). The cute little surfer-esque looking baby is Michael. He is healthy and perfect, but the main reason for my sabbatical from blogging is because we moved. I really have been running around like crazy trying to get everything done, and I still have not unpacked everything after over 2 weeks in this house. So now that it has been over a month without any updates, so much has happened that I'll have do quick recaps.

Friday, May 29: Threw a birthday party for Alex--something I never want to do again, but I can't leave Bekah out so I'll have to do it one more time. Thank goodness the other kids are too young to know about it.







Saturday: Started planting our garden at the new house. Went to a "End of 3rd year of medical school" bbq at a friends house.
Sunday: Went to church, came home and made Alex's birthday dinner: chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream, sausage, potatoes, and broccoli. At least the pancakes were whole wheat. Then we did presents and I made his purple-dragon-blowing-orange-fire birthday cake request.




 Can you tell what he's into? At least the cake wasn't transformers.

Monday: Labor day. Wait--no, Memorial day :) I was in labor by 6am. We went to finish the garden from 9am-12pm. Ate lunch, sat around wishing I could sleep, but I'd have been woken up every 5 min, so I didn't. Matt put on a movie (Transformers--again) to kill time while I was trying to decide if and when I needed to go to the hospital. At 4pm, I thought we should probably go, so we dumped the kids at a friend's house and went over. At 6:54pm, we got to see what the little 6 lb 2 oz guy looked like.

We told Alex a long time ago that the baby wouldn't be here until after his birthday. So he says, "So it will be my birthday and the next day the baby will come?" I said, "Well, no, not the next day, but a week or two later." I had to eat my words because he was right about it being the very next day. Hooray for him coming early and making it easier to move.


Bekah kept referring to him as "the baby boy". "Is the baby boy asleep?" "Does the baby boy have blue eyes or brown eyes?" "The baby boy is crying." I kept telling her that his name is Michael and after a week or so she would say, "Is the baby bo...............what's his name again?" I think it took a good 2 weeks for her to remember his name.



Friday, June 4: Packed up the 4 kids to take Michael to a doctor's appointment. Things were great until we got into the little room. There is an exam table and a chair available to the patient and company. So all the kids are up on the table and the car seat was on the chair. The nurse tells me to get him undressed in order to weigh him. I do that and notice that he needs his diaper changed. So as I'm wiping his tush, he lets go of what his intestines had been brewing. In an instant he took out the diaper pad, the exam table, 2 square feet of linoleum flooring, the entire length of my jeans, and my shirt. I quickly slap a diaper on him and lay him on that paper stuff while trying to elbow Keturah away from the infected area and yelling to Bekah to hold her back and telling Alex to grab me some more wipes. About 12 seconds after the incident, the nurse pokes her head in to see if we were ready. It probably looked like we had a food fight with mustard bottles in that room, but she was a quick thinker and takes Keturah and passes me a huge stack of paper towels. After the floor and table were clean and I was moving on to my clothes, the nurse set Keturah down and went to get Michael to weigh him. I hear her announce, "Uhhh, he did it again." There was a giant puddle of urine underneath him. I said, "What in the world? He had a diaper on, how did he do that?" I heard the nurse joke about him having "magic pee-pee power" and Alex erupts in laughter, which may or may not have had a tinge of jealously to it. So I grab Keturah, wipe the table, and the nurse wipes Michael and takes him to the scale. 5 lbs 13 oz. 5 minutes previous would have had him at birth weight I'm sure. So once she's done her bit, I put Michael in the car seat and go to work on my pants, only to be interrupted by the doctor a few minutes later. At least they don't keep you waiting here. By the end of the appointment Keturah was done, so I walked out with wet, yellow-stained clothing, carrying a purse, a diaper bag, and a car seat, dragging a one-year-old along on my right leg, and trying to herd the other two towards the door. From that point on, my life has been complete chaos.
The rest of the month was spent packing, moving, cleaning, and unpacking--not to mention the feeding, changing, consoling, bathing, etc. of all the kids.

 At 3 weeks, the excrement accidents have calmed down, and he's getting cuter everyday.





And that's all folks!

17 comments:

Rachel said...

Hooray for Michael! He's adorable. I'm so glad you've found a moment to post. It always took my kids ages to remember their new sibling's name. Jason called Brian "Baby Whale" for 6 months. We were never sure why he was a whale instead of, say, a slug.

Pattie said...

Congratulations on Micheal he is so so cute....

Wow Sarah...just reading this made me excausted..i wish i was there to help...

happy birthday to Alex...

Look at keturah she has gotten so big love those blue eyes.and rebecca is looking like a preschooler....where did you move to...

Nashelle said...

Your kids are so cute it probably makes these chaotic episodes a little easier to endure! Michael looks so much like Matt! Congrats (again) and have fun in a new place!

K.E.N said...

Wow. I'm tired just reading that.
p.s. He is really cute.

Melissa said...

That was hilarious! I'm sure at the doctors appointment it wasn't but I got a kick out of it! Congrats on the baby boy, Michael.

Heidi said...

He's darling!!! Congrats!

Ben & Carly said...

is it freaky that that dr appt story has happened to me...I was dying of laughter. you have a refreshingly good attitude about the chaos of young motherhood and I love it! I love reading your posts, congrats on the new little one...he is adorable...now go sit down for a minute

Natalie said...

ROTFL! Three's company, four's a crowd, eh? Yeah, I don't go anywhere any more....

I'm so sorry about harassing you to get you to blog. I just had no idea.

But hooray! for a beautiful boy! Love the name so much, we used it twice around here, and we'll probably use it again... Welcome, Michael! We love you already! And he looks just like Matt! Bonus!
Love you all!!!

Carrie said...

Michael is precious! I wish I could say that I miss having crazy days like the ones you are having, but I can't :)

Congratulations and thank you for your sweet words about my dad.

Anonymous said...

OK, that was the funniest poop story I have ever heard. And I can't believe your hectic schedule with a new born.You are truly amazing. Lots of love to all, Linda

Jenny said...

My goodness, I don't know if I would have been able to hold it together. I think that I would have broke down crying with the poop everywhere and trying to herd the kids along with everything else that you had going on. You are super woman.

The Haas Family said...

He's darling, sarah!! I love the blonde locks--so precious. And your little story totally cracks me up--the day in the life of a mama.

Melanie Chambers said...

Yay Sarah.

Mary said...

I so wish I could have been there to help! That story sounded completely crazy and awful. I'll bet you were really cheery the rest of the day. :) I miss you. Michael's adorable, and the other kids are so big! (Ugh, I sound like such an aunt right now. Pretty soon I'll be pinching cheeks.) And on the unpacking front -- Mom still hasn't finished, and it's been nearly 2 years!

Shanda said...

WOW you've been busy!!! You ALWAYS make me smile :) Congrats on Michael! SO CUTE!!! And don't feel bad on not being unpacked- you have FOUR kids for goodness sake, and one of those is a NEWBORN!!!! LOVE you, have someone come help so you can get some rest! Hearing what the kids say and thinking about all that happens will REALLY make you laugh in the future... Projectile poop- don't you just LOVE that? And in the doctor's office- WOW. AWESOME...

Mom said...

I agree, Michael is getting cuter by the minute. I can hardly wait to see him and hold him!

Ian and Tamra said...

*laughing*