Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Best one to date

Matt brought me an over-sized bowl of Lucky Charms (well, the generic kind, but just as good) on Sunday morning for mother's day. He said, "I thought about making you an omelet, but I figured it would be time wasted." Right you are, honey. I can't do that heavy breakfast stuff first thing in the morning (as good as it is--I prefer it for dinner). Besides, I have a slight addiction/obsession with cereal. What's more, I buy the healthy stuff, so this was a nice surprise.
In high school my boyfriend came by our house to surprise me. He saw me through our glass door stuffing my face with a giant bowl of cereal accompanied with a giant spoon. He just laughed and so did I. With 7 kids and all that ice cream and cereal eating, a clean, normal sized bowl and spoon were a rare find. You were probably more likely to find said spoon in the dirt in the backyard, carelessly chucked aside after being used as a shovel.
Anyway, back to present time. The other kids picked out black licorice for me--score again. Matt hates it ("the taste reminds me of an old man" was his commentary), so I've had a black licorice fast for a few years.
We had my step-mom's specialty marinated pork tenderloin with roasted asparagus, roasted red potatoes, homemade whole wheat rolls, and honey glazed carrots for dinner. Q: How do you finish off that kind of perfection? A: Chocolate Mousse.
Just when I thought things couldn't get much better, I opened a painting and narrative from Alex.

"We love you mom bekus of transformrs" That kid cracks me up. Here's what is says at the bottom (spelling corrected):  "My mommy's hair is brown like a chocolate bar with ice cream pieces. My mommy's eyes are brown like chocolate milk. The end."

8 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

I love that card!! Chocolate bar hair and chocolate milk eyes, a rare beauty in deed.

Rachel said...

That dinner sounds fantastic.

You didn't mention that previous to the giant cereal bowl episode you had a thing about never eating in front of your boyfriend - hence his shock at the discovery of your true eating habits.

Charla and Jarom said...

That is so hysterical, I love seeing how children's minds work! Sounds like Mother's Day was a hit! I'm with you on the breakfast thing, Jarom thinks I'm weird. He can jump right out of bed and make and eat a whole huge eggy breakfast. I wait a few hours and then nibble on a piece of toast or cereal :) You'll have to send me the recipe for the dinner, it sounds yummy and I've always wanted to make one of those!

Natalie said...

LOL! Alex is the bomb! I hope he always equates your features with chocolate. Miss, miss, miss you guys.

Mary said...

That bowl and spoon thing is so true! Also, Alex cracks me up. And thanks, Matt, now I won't be able to think of black licorice the same way again.

Ian and Tamra said...

That is AWESOME! I love the card. Good thing you have brown eye, huh.

Jaime said...

cute! Can I get those recipes from you, all of that sounds delicious!!!

Gnat said...

You're addiction to cereal is anything but slight. That's like me saying I have a "small" coke problem. These are lifelong struggles we're dealing with here.. we're so misunderstood *sniff*. Oh, and omelets for dinner /so/ rock; especially extra spicy with both fresh jalapeños and Tabasco.