Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Keep a weather eye on the horizon...


So, I've been told by long-time residents that this is an unusually wet summer here. It has rained at least a little bit about half of the days of the last couple of months. Rain is normally accompanied by thunder and lightning. It doesn't bother me when the thunder is so loud it shakes the whole house, or when a power surge from the lightning causes both garage doors to open by themselves. I was bit alarmed, though, by the insane amount of water we got last Thursday. I barely got home through the rivers and lakes that used to be called roads. The water was violently sloshing up against the garage doors when I opened one to park. In the 20 seconds it took me to get in and close the door, there was already several inches of water covering the cement floor. Matt stayed up till 3am just keeping an eye on things. I really wanted to get a picture of the rapids outside, but I was honestly afraid that I would get washed away or struck by lightning or both. So, you'll have to rely on your imagination. Anyway, thankfully there was no flooding in our house, although the school library and several other houses weren't so lucky.
The kids must have felt a little cheated because they took to the kitchen sink the next day to remind us how it would have felt to be flooded. If I hadn't followed the giggles, it could have been a lot worse.
More weather updates...when it isn't raining it is hot. Humid hot. The kind of hot where you sweat just sitting at your computer blogging. I went outside to get some fresh air and I almost suffocated. I gently touch Alex's bare back and when I remove my hand, it is like ripping off a band-aid because everything is sticky. You know it is hot when you have to spread your toes apart (which I find is a talent not everyone has) because it is too warm to have your toes touching each other. I do give in and turn the air on sometimes--when it is 85 in here.
Did I mention that I love this place? No, really. I'm not complaining--I still love the rain and thunder and such, and I can definitely live in the heat for a while. But, I'm so glad I don't live in Vegas or something. Bleck.

8 comments:

Glory Watts said...

Holy Cow Sarah! I love rain and thunder storms too but all that rain would have scared me to death, I would have thought for sure that my house was going to flood if I had several inches of water in my garage. Next time that happens take a picture from inside the house so you don't get washed away. I would love to see what that looks like. I'm glad you guys are o.k.

As far a humidity goes, I can only relate a little I think. Having lived in Austin TX it can get pretty humid. It would be 10pm 100degrees outside and as soon as you walk out the door you are sweating. You get used to having permanent armpit rings ;) The sticky part I don't think I've experianced.

I'm glad that you like it there! Are you going to the 10 year? Let me know, I think I might be.

Anonymous said...

The flooding sounds cool, but freaky. In Virginia I was always grateful for the daily thunderstorm because it cooled things down a lot, but in Missouri I think I'd be blowing up life rafts.

Anyway, I'd best be off. I'm tired as heck and today I have time to take a nap! Can't wait to see you and the kiddies!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Matt told me about the water---what a surprise, huh? I thought you guys were in some golden "belt" that missed all the tornadoes and flooding...
Thank goodness you didn't lose anything in the garage.
It's just smokey here with another fire outside of Yosemite.
Cute kids you got there, can't wait to see 'em again!

Sarah said...

This is a golden belt--one of the faculty here said in 32 years he's never seen anything like this.
I'm glad we came away unscathed.

Amy Beatty said...

What I crazy storm, it could have been fun if you knew the ending. I'm glad you are all ok.And by the way I also have that awesome talent, but my husband thinks its unnatural. I couldn't imagine not being able to do it though.

Anonymous said...

It does sound like an exciting place to live. While I love rain and totally miss it, life with young children is easier without it.

jayne said...

I have always loved the thunderstorms here. They are fun to listen too, and to watch. That is, until last weeks flooded my basement. Now when it rains I'm up all night worried about more flooding. Yuck.

Kari said...

Love the descriptions, Sarah! Sloshing against the garage doors? You should write novels:)