Monday, July 11, 2011

Carnies and Compadres

We went back to Missouri for Matt's graduation, but we really went back to see our friends. At least that is why I went. I had no real interest in the ceremonies with 4 wiggly, sleep-deprived kids at my side, but even if I hadn't had them, the highlights of our stay would still have been with our good friends.

The kids all played together as if the two years that had passed were two days.







Here we are at a banquet with the Crellins




Our table at the banquet: the Squires, us, and Jesse


Another banquet with some swell gals. They are all infinitely more talented than me, but they are still nice to me.



Same story here with the talent.



And here.



Matt with his fellow doctor buddies. Not Alex--on the doctor part, not the buddy.



These guys are really smart, but Matt did beat them at basketball. Yay Matt.


We're friends too, lest you forget.


Now for the diploma part. I didn't get great pictures, but man, this event was just plain ridiculous. As far as graduations go, it was great. As far as outfits go, it was comedic. The whole lot of them are decked out in these silly robes with the ugliest hats out there, and as they marched on stage, all I could do was laugh. It was a circus show. Who thought these clothes up? I hope he didn't get an honorary doctorate. And then they have the nerve to make you pay $50 for it. Who made it? J.Crew? It's got about the same feel as a shower curtain, so I'm pretty sure it didn't cost more that 5 bucks to manufacture. Lame.
Anyway...back to the show.


Make no mistake. This is not a "Hooray, I did it! I'm a doctor!" picture.
This is a "Yes! I can finally get out of this clown suit!"


A good day for all.


All except these four. They were cold, hungry, tired, bored, and a little embarrassed to be standing next to the green lantern.

Well, after that we had to say our good-byes and we were soon gone. A special thanks to the Jason's parents who let us have a free hotel room, held my kids during graduation, saved me seats for graduation, and took us to lunch. They were our surrogate parents for the weekend and they are awesome.

4 comments:

Mary J. Locke said...

Yeah, those robes are pretty bad...

Mary J. Locke said...

Hey, P.S., you look absolutely amazing in every single one of those pictures.

Ben & Carly said...

I'm with her, you look beautiful. congrats to Matt, what an accomplishment for you both. I'm with you on the robes, what a rip off....and we didn't even get to keep ours. though we don't attend many events where ugly robes are required. what good memories you have made though. I love the road trip post, summer road trips are the best. when your kids look back they will only remember how much fun they had, not enduring long hours on the road and boring graduations. Of course we remember all of it but we still seem to want to do it again!

Rachel said...

You always look beautiful - I'd ask how you do it, but I'm sure you don't know. I quickly spotted Alex in the picture - mom skills?